Saturday, October 2, 2010

Part C Critical Synthesis

A critical synthesis of my reflection on how my view of the role of the teacher librarian may have changed during the subject. Over the last few months my ideas of the role of the teacher librarian have changed dramatically. I have been a classroom teacher for the past eight years, where my experience of the Library has been vastly different from the recommendations and models put forward in the readings from ETL 401. The Library model in which I was familiar with (at my previous school) consisted of 45 minutes RFF teaching time, where my class was taken off into the abyss and returned 45 minutes later with a new library book (Bruce, 2010, September 24). There was certainly NO collaboration between the teacher librarian and the classroom teachers and the learning that took place in the library were separate from the learning happening in the classroom.

Upon embarking on my new position as teacher librarian, ICT coordinator and learning support teacher in a brand new catholic systemic school this year, I began researching the role of teacher librarian. As discussed above, I wanted to structure the library and ICT roles in a better way than I had previously experienced – At this point I began to research. I related to Kuhlthau’s ISP when initially researching information about how other teacher librarians operate. I specifically related to Kuhlthau’s second stage of ‘selecting a topic’, I recall feeling: confusion, sometimes anxiety, brief elation and anticipation (Kuhlthau, 1989). I picked up some ideas from my independent research and began teaching in my P-2 school.

As I began teaching in this new role, I enjoyed the experience and wanted to pursue higher education in this field. I was not happy being mainly a classroom teacher in the role of Teacher Librarian – I wanted to make this new school into a dynamic learning environment I now know is called an ‘information literate school community’, ILSC. After only a few weeks into the course, I saw a direct link with my improved knowledge affecting my teaching, as I began integrating Resource Based Learning (Bruce, 2010, July 28) in small steps.
I felt that term three, 2010 has been a huge learning curve and the decision to complete the Masters of Education (teacher librarian) has already shaped the way in which I am going about creating an information literate school community and view the role as teacher librarian. Through the readings the forum postings and the completion of my first assignment, I realised that the role of teacher librarian, was wider and deeper than I had first expected. Herring’s blog is an extremely useful resource, where I have learned a great deal. Herring advocates “that positive feedback is a key to good teaching, as is subject knowledge, best practices in teaching (e.g. Encourage students to think, to make connections…), personal qualities (e.g. Demonstrate an empathy with pupil thinking..), and professionalism. A good teacher is one who develops students as learners and of course”(Herring, 2010, April). This statement appeals to me and I can see many connections with the standards of professional excellence for teacher librarians (ALIA/ ASLA, 2004).

Throughout this course, I have realised that being a good leader is strongly connected to creating an information literate school community. I can see the need to act as an educator and advocate in the creation of an ILSC. As our school is brand new, I felt that I needed to discuss the information literacy model, implications on teaching and the importance of collaboration with my principal, as we are in the early stages of running as a school, with only three classes this year and eight starting in 2011. The library is being built at the moment and will serve as the heart of the school – connecting the current classroom building (consisting of 6 classrooms) with the new classroom building (8 classrooms)being built in 2011. The importance of leadership at this early stage is essential to set the school up for success, understanding that as teachers begin to work at the school, this model of collaboration supported by Todd and Kulhthau, (2003), will be the norm. Collaboration has become a learning I have taken on board, actively reflected in my programming and structure for term 4, (Bruce, 2010, September 20, September 24) and the Topic 5 forum posting(Bruce, 2010, 27 September forum posting).

I believe I am now heading in the right direction and will do the role justice. My understandings gained through ETL 401 as my starting point have completely changed my understanding of the role of teacher librarian and have made me aware of the standards to strive for (ALIA/ ASLA, 2004).

References

Australian School Library Association (ASLA) and Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA), (2004). Library standards of professional excellence for teacher librarians. http://www.asla.org.au/policy/standards.htm

Bruce, J, (2010, September 27). ‘Collaboration’ Message posted to ETL401 Topic 5 Sub Forum. http://interact.csu.edu.au/portal/site/ETL401_201060_W_D/page/416f0e90-5013-4d64-802c-c995094fc028

Bruce, J. (2010, September 24). Essential learning Achievements and Collaboration. http://journeyofateacherlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/09/essential-learning-achievements.html

Bruce, J. (2010, September 20). ‘Collaboration’. http://journeyofateacherlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/09/collaboration.html

Bruce, J. (2010, September 18). ‘My life experience relating to Kuhlthau’. http://journeyofateacherlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-life-expeience-relating-to.html

Bruce, J. (2010, September 16). ‘Information Literacy development’. http://journeyofateacherlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/09/information-literacy-development.html

Bruce, J. (2010, September 12). ‘Life’. http://journeyofateacherlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/09/life.html

Bruce, J. (2010, July 28). ‘TL’s and the Issue of RBL V’s RBT’. http://journeyofateacherlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/07/tls-and-issue-of-rbl-vs-rbt.html

Bruce, J. (2010, July 19). ‘Reality sets I’. http://journeyofateacherlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/07/reality-sets-in.html

Bruce, J. (2010, July 13). ‘The journey begins’ http://journeyofateacherlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/07/journey-begins.html

Herring, J. (2010) James Herring’s Blog http://jherring.wordpress.com/ (April, 2010) ‘What makes a good teacher and water dragon’

Kuhlthau, Carol Collier (1989). Information Search Process: A Summary of Research and Implications for School Library Media Programs. SLMQ, 18(1). (Viewed 9 September 2010)

Todd, R. and Kulhthau, C.(2003) Student learning through Ohio school libraries. Background methodology and report findings. Retrieved 13/8/10 http://webfiles.rbe.sk.ca/rps/terrance.pon/OELMAReportofFindings.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment