Monday, September 20, 2010

Collaboration

This week I have been planning for term four before the school holidays . I have begun planning and restructuring the way in which we operate to create an ILSC at my school. This year has been a great opportunity for me to find my feet in this new role as Teacher Librarian, in a new school. There are only three classes at our school so far – and we are growing rapidly with 8 classes next year! I have found this to be an ideal time to learn about the role of the Teacher Librarian through completing this course and to discuss the structure and philosophy of the Library as the heart of the school with the Teachers and Principal. My goal is to adopt the information skills process put out by the DET to embed IL skills into our curriculum

It was nice to see the look of excitement on the teachers faces when I explained what I intended to do. I was able to show teachers that my job is to assist them in extending on the class learning, not to make their job any harder. I explained that I see my role teaching children in context to the learning already happening in the classroom. The look of both excitement and relief was observed on their faces –as I feel teachers are faced with the common problem of teaching in an overcrowded curriculum – assisting teachers in this way was received positively by making their job less burdened yet providing greater learning outcomes for the students!